Nicola made us all Fat Hen a la crème during our 5 Day Bushcraft Course in August. It was absolutely delicious and definitely one to try, in fact I think it is my new favourite wild food! The recipe Nicola used was inspired by one from Robin Harford using nettles.
- Couple of big handfuls of Fat Hen (Chenopodium album)
- 25g of plain flour
- 25g of butter
- 400ml of milk
- 30ml of natural yoghurt
- 30ml of crème fraiche
- 30g of hard cheese such as parmesan
- 1/4 tsp of nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
How to make Fat Hen a la crème
- Blanch the fat hen for 2 minutes in boiling water, drain thoroughly and chop roughly
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour and leave for 1 minute
- Slowly whisk in the milk until the mixture is bubbling gently and thickens
- Simmer for a few minutes
- Add the crème fraiche, yoghurt, cheese, nutmeg and fat hen and gently mix together
- Season to taste
Unfortunately it doesn’t look like we’ll be able to try this again this year; the cows are back in the field and have eaten it all!
You can see plenty of our other wild foods recipes on our blog by clicking here.