What’s it about?
Your experience is focused on 4 key skills of bushcraft and woodland living – fire, shelter, food and water. But as with all of our bushcraft courses, the skills you’ll learn are transferable and are useful to campers, canoeists, hikers, those that enjoy wild camping and many other outdoor activities.
This 5 day bushcraft course is our most exhaustive course in terms of both breadth and depth of learning. However, you don’t need any previous experience to attend as we start from the basics and progress throughout the 5 days.
This is definitely one of our favourite courses as it allows you to immerse yourself fully in the woodland and really become a part of it. The emphasis is on ensuring that you have plenty of opportunity to practice the skills that we show you so that as you progress through the 5 days you become more proficient and independent. It also gives you time to really get to know us and your fellow students.
What will I do?
You’ll be shown a wide range of skills followed by ample opportunity to practice them. You will:
- Use a knife, folding saw and bow saw to make a wedge, cut a log from standing dead wood, split the log and make feather sticks,
- Spend plenty of time creating a flame using chemical, solar, compression and electrical means,
- Work as part of a team to create fire by friction,
- Make char cloth, create an ember with it and blow the ember into flame,
- Identify, gather and prepare tinders from outer barks, inner barks, fungi and downy flower heads,
- Make your own fire from materials sourced locally using a fire steel,
- Understand various fire lays and their uses,
- Prune trees so as they can ‘heal’ afterwards,
- Carve simple implements such as a spatula and honey spreader,
- Put up a hammock and tarp using 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves (if you’d like to sleep in a hammock, you can),
- Adapt a tarp to different configurations to meet different conditions and environments,
- Know when, where and how to build a debris shelter,
- Identify and locate water supplies,
- Make your own improvised water filter,
- Make a pot hanger to boil water and cook over,
- Make a simple bow from hazel,
- Use bark to make a container,
- Sharpen your knife so that it will easily slice through a sheet of paper,
- Make cordage from nettles, brambles and chestnut bark, depending on the time of year,
- Forage for wild foods and make wild herb bannock,
- Learn a variety of back country cooking techniques,
- Try various woodland teas from plants and herbs you collect,
- Finish it all off by collecting materials to light a fire without using matches, lighters or a fire steel and boil water over your pot hanger.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 5 days
Start: 9am Wednesday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4.
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
I highly recommend a Jack Raven course to learn invaluable knowledge of the natural world. learn how how the art of bushcraft can change your life and expand your knowledge. Learn skills that will enhance your abilities in order to work with nature in a balanced and harmonious way. Gary Is an amazing instructor with years of experience and knowledge. Met so many amazing people on this course and I’m proud to say I invested in such a wonderful experience. I will be a returning for more.
I had just 3 days between taking the 2 day bushcraft course. The 5 day course does cover some of the content of the 2 day one, but I didn’t think this was an issue as you can improve upon the skills learned earlier. Not once did I feel ‘I’ve learned this already’. 5 days gives you the opportunity to practice bushcraft in what may be changing weather. I would especially recline this this course to anyone having taken the 2 day one. I feel I have added a great deal to my skill set. The meals provided were of a very high standard too. I’m coming back for the animal tracking day and the 5 day survival course.
这是我第二次来到JR bushcraft, 感觉学到的技能非常有用，教官们都很友好！我和我朋友都很开心能够来这里学习！在这里不光能够了解理论知识，同时还有大量的练习，能够让你充分的掌握所学习到的知识和技能！下次还会来的！
This is my second time be JR bushcraft. I've learned a lot of skills. My friend and I are very happy to be here. You can not only learn theory but also have a lot of time to practice to make sure you can use the skill very easy. I will be back!!!
I completed the 5 day bushcraft course. It was exceptional. Intensive learning throughout the daylight hours still felt well paced and enjoyable. Shelter building, wood carving, fire building, fire through friction and much more. Expertise in the team is very high. Thoroughly recommended.
Great place, great course and I met some great people,
And the people who run this are very knowledgable and are also great, and I learnt so much, I would highly recommended going,even if that’s just for the day, or take your children for the weekend, yes I will be going back.
Thanks Gary and Nicola, and thanks to the others who make my week, you know who you are 👍