What’s it about?
To meet a growing need in Outdoor Education, the Institute for Outdoor Learning provides a system of courses to equip those of you who are/aiming to use bushcraft skills as part of your programmes.
This 5 day IOL Bushcraft Competency Diploma course has been created by the IOL Bushcraft Professional Practice Group using some of the most experienced trainers of bushcraft in the country. This is provided by individual training organisations; Jack Raven Bushcraft is proud to be one of them.
The course has been designed for teachers or instructors to deliver a wide selection of progressive bushcraft learning experiences. With that said, it’s a great course in it’s own right and we’re sure anyone with an interest in bushcraft will benefit from attending.
You must have prior bushcraft experience to attend this course as we won’t be covering the basics. If you’re not sure, get in touch with us for a friendly chat.
What will I do on this IOL Bushcraft Competency Diploma training course?
The syllabus meets the IOL Statement of Good Practice. On this 5 day course you will cover:
- Using an axe safely and effectively to limb, section and split wood,
- Use an axe to make feather sticks,
- Carve a spoon and small bowl using an axe, knife and crook knife,
- Learn how to maintain and sharpen your carving tools,
- Learn a variety of back country cooking techniques using a pit oven, dutch oven, grills and embers,
- How to manage a fire for an extended period of time,
- How to make char cloth,
- Fashion and set 4 different primitive traps or snares including a deadfall and twitch up,
- Making a fishing spear,
- Put up a hammock and tarp using 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves,
- Adapt a tarp to different configurations to meet different conditions and environments,
- Identifying commonly occurring British mammal and bird tracks,
- Recognising other types of ground or aerial sign apart from animal footprints,
- Different stride patterns,
- Identifying edible and medicinal plants as well as looking at potentially dangerous similar species,
- Preparing foraged plants for eating and making simple herbal remedies,
- And of course, ensuring that we leave no trace,
Throughout the course we will provide advice and guidance on tools and equipment and how to teach the skills covered to other people, whether that be individuals or groups, all based on our own years of experience.
To be added to the register of holders of the IOL Bushcraft Competency Diploma you must already hold the IOL Bushcraft Competency Certificate. You will also need to attend a separate 2 day assessment,
Take a look at our ‘IOL Hall of Fame‘ to see photos of the people that we know have successfully taken their assessment. and gained the IOL Bushcraft Competency Diploma.
You can see our entire course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 5 days
Start: 9am Wednesday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8 – to make sure that you get the best possible tuition on this busy course
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4.
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
There is an addirtional cost for the assessment; currently it’s £165, payable to the IOL.
What our customers say
Submit your review
This course is accredited by the Institute for Outdoor Learning. This means that it has been through a quality assurance process covering the experience and procedures of the organisation, the design of the course and the qualifications/experience of the trainers.
If you have any concerns about the quality of your IOL Bushcraft Competency Diploma course, please talk initially to the course staff and organisation. If there are still problems, please contact the IOL office.
The Institute for Outdoor Learning encourages outdoor learning by developing quality, safety and opportunity to experience outdoor activity provision and by supporting the good practice of outdoor professionals. Member benefits include professional journals and workshops, discounts on equipment, national and regional conferences, etc.