We’ve been making the most of the fruits that are around at the moment and 2017 certainly seems to be a good year. So half a dozen jars of apple and blackberry jam in the cupboard!
- 600g of blackberries, washed and drained
- 500g of crab apples
- 1.1kg of granulated sugar
- 300ml of water
- 10g of butter
How to make the apple and blackberry jam
- Put the water and crab apples into a large pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes
- Add the blackberries, bring to the boil and then simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes until the fruit is soft
- Take the saucepan off the heat and rub the fruit through a sieve
- Return the mixture to the pan and stir in the sugar
- Heat gently, continuing to stir, until all of the sugar has dissolved
- Boil rapidly for 10 minutes
- Take the saucepan off the heat and test the mixture (drop a small dollop onto a cold saucer; if it crinkles then the mixture is ready)
- If the mixture is ready, ladle it into jars, otherwise boil for another couple of minutes
- Let the mixture cool slightly and pour into sterilised jars*.
*To sterilise the jars, wash them in cold water and place them upside down in a cold oven. Set the temperature to 160ºC, and turn the oven on. Once it gets up to temperature, the jars are ready. Remember to use a tea towel oven gloves when you handle the jars.
We make this and many other delicious preserves on our 1 day foraging course.
You can see loads of photos from the course, as well as from all of our courses, on our Facebook page.