This is a recipe for nettle soup that Nicola devised. It is by far the tastiest nettle soup I’ve had. And nettles are phenomenally good for you. We pick the tips of the nettles only as these are usually the tenderest part of the plant. We’ve also found that the nettles can be re-harvested after a few weeks and will produce new young leaves well into the summer.
• 3 cloves of garlic
• 2 onions
• 4 carrots
• 3 potatoes
• 1 ½ teaspoons of paprika
• 1 ½ teaspoons of ground coriander
• A carrier bag of nettle tips
• 3 litres of vegetable stock
• Salt & pepper to taste
How to make the nettle soup
• Fry the garlic, onion, carrot and potato until soft
• Add the spices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes
• Add the stock and bring to a simmer
• Add the nettles and simmer for 15 minutes
Add some cream if you like.
You can see loads of photos from our ‘Wildfoods and Woodland Cooking’ courses on our Facebook page.