Burdock root is not easy to dig up where we are because of all the flint in the ground. In fact it took 2 of us a good half hour to dig up the 2 roots required for this recipe and we were both worn out at the end of it. So hopefully you will have soil that is kinder to you than it was to us and you can make these brilliant burdock & potato rostis.
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 burdock roots
- 1 onion
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
How to make the burdock & potato rostis
- Peel and grate the potatoes and burdock root onto a clean tea towel
- Squeeze out any excess liquid
- Spread out on some kitchen roll and leave for 10 minutes
- Peel and chop the onion
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Season to taste
- Heat some olive oil in a frying pan
- Add a large spoonful of the mixture and flatten
- Cook for 3 – 5 minutes
- Turn over and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes
Whilst the leaf and stalk are also edible, that doesn’t mean tasty! This is Stefano eating a burdock leaf. I bet him a free place on a course that he wouldn’t eat the whole leaf – he didn’t!
You can find plenty of our other recipes on our blog, such as these wild herb aubergines.