Who’s it for?
The short answer is that this course is for anyone who wants to learn to light a fire in any weather! This bushcraft course is focused on one of the key skills of bushcraft and woodland living – fire lighting, although as with all of our bushcraft experiences the skills you will learn are transferable and potentially of use to people who are campers, canoeists, hikers or pursue other outdoor activities.
What will I do?
During your day with us you will study fire lighting in considerable depth; the emphasis is to ensure that you have plenty of opportunity to practice in a safe environment. You will be given considered demonstrations of these skills followed by ample opportunity to practice them under the expert tutelage of our qualified instructors.
During this bushcraft course, you will:
- Spend plenty of time creating a flame using matches, lighters, parabolic mirrors, lenses,fire steels, wire wool & batteries, traditional flint & steel
- Make char cloth, create an ember with it and blow the ember into flame,
- Identify, gather and prepare tinders from outer barks, inner barks, fungi and downy flower heads,
- Create different fire lays and understand their purpose,
- Make your own fire from materials sourced locally.
At the end of your fire lighting day you will be equipped to light a fire in all weather conditions using materials that you find around you!
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 1 day
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Lunch provided
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4.
What our customers say
Submit your review
Excellent course. I found it was well worth the money to learn the skills first hand. I went thinking I had no chance with fire by friction. I am amazed that I managed to do it.
Seven embers aren't a fluke Nick! Well done.
A great course very enjoyable and easy to understand
There was a good mix of students (old and young) which made for a fun course the instructors were very patient and able to put across the training that we needed.