Who’s it for?
This bushcraft course is focused on one of the key skills of bushcraft and woodland living – fire lighting, although as with all of our bushcraft experiences the skills you will learn are transferable and potentially of use to people who are campers, canoeists, hikers or pursue other outdoor activities.
What will I do?
During this 2 day bushcraft course you will study fire lighting in considerable depth; the emphasis is to ensure that you have plenty of opportunity to practice in a safe environment. You will be given considered demonstrations of these skills followed by ample opportunity to practice them under the expert tutelage of our qualified instructors.
During this bushcraft course, you will:
- Spend plenty of time creating a flame using chemical, solar, compression and electrical means,
- Make char cloth, create an ember with it and blow the ember into flame,
- Identify, gather and prepare tinders from outer barks, inner barks, fungi and downy flower heads,
- Create different fire lays and understand their purpose,
- Make your own fire from materials sourced locally.
You will then move on to one of the most iconic skills within bushcraft – fire by friction, a skill that you will be able to consistently accomplish at the end of this course. By the time you leave us, you will be able to:
- Select the best materials to make your fire bow set,
- Make your own set (you can take away any that you make)
- Take up the best posture for bowing,
- Create an ember,
- Turn the ember into a sustainable fire,
- And maybe most importantly, self diagnose when things aren’t working.
Dates to be added
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 4
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4.
What our customers say
Submit your review
Excellent course. I found it was well worth the money to learn the skills first hand. I went thinking I had no chance with fire by friction. I am amazed that I managed to do it.
Seven embers aren't a fluke Nick! Well done.
A great course very enjoyable and easy to understand
There was a good mix of students (old and young) which made for a fun course the instructors were very patient and able to put across the training that we needed.