What’s it about?
Over the years our 2 day course has proven to be our most popular bushcraft course. It’s been carefully designed to initiate you into the joys of outdoor living, although many of the skills that you’ll be taught are easily transferable to other outdoor activities.
This 2 day course is intended for people who would like to understand what bushcraft is all about and to learn simple, repeatable survival skills, including campers, backpackers, hikers and other outdoors people who wish to learn some of the skills required to be comfortable in the outdoors, so that you have the time to really enjoy what is around you.
We have people attend who have no previous bushcraft experience as well as those with some prior experience and we can say with absolute honesty that everyone leaves knowing more than when they arrived!
What will I do?
During your time spent with us on this course, you will:
- Learn how to safely use essential bushcraft tools including knife, folding saw and bow saw,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, fire steels, fire pistons, wire wool & a battery, solar mirrors, flint & steel and chemicals,
- Carve your own honey spreader or spatula from materials you gather in our ancient woodland,
- Understand the pros and cons of debris shelters, where & how to build one,
- Put up a tarp and hammock using only 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves (you can sleep in a hammock if you like),
- Find, filter and purify your own water,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Learn how to sharpen a knife so that it will slice through a sheet of paper,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the woods,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions.
At the end of the course you will have a good working knowledge of the skills needed to enjoy your time in the woods or enhance your camping or outdoor activities.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
Truly 5 star. Attended a 2 day bushcraft course end of Sept as part of my 50th celebrations with some equally old friends. Instructors Gary and Peter really know their stuff and the teaching pace was spot on, allowing enough time for practice. The food that Nicola served up was fantastic given the environment, with tea and biscuits on tap. Will be looking to book up another one of the courses in the future.
Absolutely superb course given by Gary and Peter, good pace and hopefully will retain much of the instruction given by Gary who certainly knows his stuff , Nicola`s food also worth a mention as was very tasty, and of course finally Willow. Intend to get back there for more courses in the future
Just returned from a weekend bushcraft course.... it was absolutely excellent and the 5 of us will be returning for more courses ! Many thanks to the Raven rangers, Gary, Nicola, Peter and Willow.... we learnt so much from you all 👍👍👍
My self and my son just finished the the 2 day bushcraft course. Truly outstanding, great company, Gary was once again a brilliant instructor. The food was brilliant thanks to Nicolas skills. Bob was another great instructor and you can't forget Willow. Waiting to book the 5 day course. I would strongly recommend Jack Raven to anyone wanting to learn Bushcraft and appreciation of nature.
What a wonderful weekend. Gary is an excellent instructor, imparting his knowledge in a very calm and patient manner. The content was just right for the course. The food was delicious (thank you Nicola) and it is great to spend a weekend with like minded people in a beautiful environment. I would definitely reccommend Jack Raven Bushcraft.