Nicola and I have been out collecting some herbs. We were able to find quite a lot of Yarrow, St Johns Wort and also a fair bit of Self Heal, which are both destined to become cremes. And I saw 2 adders as well, so a bit of a bonus.
I’ll put up more details of making the cremes later.
Look here on our Facebook page for photos taken on our Herbal Remedies course.
Selfheal – one of our favourite herbs
- Gather the leaves and dry in a shady place for a week or so.
- Store in clean brown paper bags.
- Heat 200ml of olive oil and add 25g of pure beeswax so that the beeswax melts.
- Add as much dried yarrow leaf as you can immerse in the oil, stirring gently with a wooden spoon.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly. The smell will be noticeable, and the colour of the oil will turn green or golden green.
- Allow to cool a little to allow safer handling.
- Strain through a fine metal-screen sieve into a glass measure, and then pour from that into clean, small glass jars, e.g. baby food or small jam jars.
- Label each jar with “yarrow salve” (Achillea millefolium), and the date. Store in the refrigerator.
- It should last for over a year if refrigerated.