What’s it about?
We’re often asked the difference between bushcraft and survival and perhaps the simplest way to explain is to say that survival is finding yourself in a life threatening situation that you need to get out of.
With that in mind, this weekend survival course has been designed for anyone who wants to learn some of the skills that are essential in a survival situation. We’ve put this course together for people who spend time outdoors in the UK and would like to be better prepared in the event of an emergency.
What will I do?
Many of the skills found in bushcraft are transferable to survival. During your time spent with us on this weekend survival course we’ll concentrate on simple skills that you can do when you’re cold and wet, tired, de-hydrated and hungry. The focus is on using improvised techniques and minimal equipment. You will:
- Gain an understanding of how survival scenarios come about, and how to avoid getting into one!
- Learn the biggest killers in a survival situation and what to do about them,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, lighters and fire steels,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the British countryside,
- Learn about improvised, man made tinders,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions,
- Safely use a knife to accomplish common tasks,
- Learn how to prepare and cook rabbit and fish,
- Make an improvised debris shelter,
- Learn 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves and make an improvised shelter from salvaged polythene,
- Find, filter and purify your own water, including digging a gypsy well, and making an improvised water filter,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Make a signal fire to alert potential rescuers,
- Look through typical commercial survival tins,
- Understand why you should make your own survival kit, and what should go in it.
At the end of this weekend survival course you will have learnt how to avoid getting into a survival situation as well as gained a good working knowledge of some of the skills should you find yourself in one.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
My first visit to Jack Raven, and I could not have been in better hands.
Gary and his team where very warm and welcoming, their individual knowledge is second to none. Gary's teaching was precise, but felt very relaxed, and very keen to answer any questions. The catering by Nicola, was divine ! Pete, is a very worthy assistant and also a great font of knowledge.
I will be coming again, and would HIGHLY recommend this great team.
I'm so please I was able to attend a Jack Raven course, Many Thanks.
P.S. Willow is possibly the best dog in the world !
I really enjoyed the weekend, the pace and content were spot on. It was relaxed and informative. Their set up in the woods is amazing, the food is great and plenty of biscuits to go with the tea and coffee.
First time with Jack Raven, on the weekend survival course, was absolutely brilliant! The hosts Gary, Nicola, Peter and Willow were attentive, easy going and looked after the group very well. Gary shares Bushcraft skills and knowledge very carefully, respecting the pace of the group and supporting each person as they go. Nicola made delicious food, Peter kept us warm with plenty of tea cups poured from the kettle of the fire and Willow was always ready for a bite! The pace of the course was relaxed and enjoyable. The woodland is beautiful! Above all the teaching was inspiring and for everyone interested in bushcraft this is the place to go! Will recommend for sure and be back for more. Thank you Jack Raven! 😉
This was an excellent introduction to the world of survival and bushcraft. Great location and great tuition from some lovely people, can't reccomend it enough. Will definitely look at doing more!
I very much recommend this course for everyone. Those who are willing to take their first initial steps into the art of Self Reliance - this is for you. Gary knows his stuff and is ready to teach you in simple enough terms that you'll be able to pick it up; for the average person can use to greater effect in a survival situation. Big thanks again to Gary, Bob and Nicola for a great experience. I am looking forward to the next one