What’s it about?
Located between Canterbury and Ashford, join us at our ancient woodland camp on the beautiful Kent Downs for this 1 day deer preparation course and learn how to skin and butcher a deer.
We understand that this is an emotive subject for some people but we believe that this is an important skill for those of us that spend much of our time outdoors. Crucially we believe that the whole process must be conducted in a way that is respectful to the animal. The animals that are used on this course are carefully selected so that the population as a whole benefits; we do not advocate trophy hunting, we don’t use stags nor females that are pregnant or have foals.
We will make use of as much of the animal as possible.
What will I do?
During your time spent with us on this 1 day bushcraft course, you will:
- Learn how a deer is selected for culling, where and when it can be culled, how the animal is stalked and how it’s dispatched,
- Understand about the safe use of firearms when deer stalking,
- Find out about the various diseases that the animal must be checked for,
- Be shown meat hygiene techniques and methods,
- Skin the deer with minimal damage to the hide or the meat,
- Butcher the deer to ensure that as much meat as possible is produced,
- Learn about the different cuts of meat produced and how to cook them.
Once the animal has been butchered we will light a fire and cook some of it. Anything that’s left will be shared out between us all to take home.
Currently all places are booked, sorry.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 1 day
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Bring a packed lunch
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review