What’s it about?
This 5 day survival course has been designed for anyone who wants to learn some of the skills that are essential in a survival situation. We’ve put this course together for people who spend time outdoors in the UK and would like to be better prepared in the event of an emergency.
You don’t need any previous experience to come along, we’ll start with the basics and work at a steady pace to ensure that you get the most from your time with us.
What will I do?
This 5 day survival course is broken into 2 main parts, skills acquisition and then testing out your new skills and knowledge. For the first 3 days of your time with us on this survival course we’ll concentrate on simple skills that you can do when you’re cold and wet, tired, de-hydrated and hungry. The focus is on using improvised techniques and minimal equipment. You will:
- Gain an understanding of how survival scenarios come about, and how to avoid getting into one!
- Learn the biggest killers in a survival situation and what to do about them,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, lighters and fire steels,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the British countryside,
- Learn about improvised, man made tinders,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions,
- Safely use a knife to accomplish common tasks,
- Learn how to prepare and cook game,
- Make a pot hanger to cook food over an open fire,
- Learn back country cooking techniques including using a pit oven,
- Make an improvised debris shelter,
- Learn 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves and make an improvised shelter from salvaged polythene,
- Find, filter and purify your own water, including digging a gypsy well, and making an improvised water filter,
- Make a small mammal trap,
- Make a simple stick bow and throwing stick,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Make a signal fire to alert potential rescuers,
- Look through typical commercial survival tins,
- Understand why you should make your own survival kit, and what should go in it.
On the morning of day 4 we will take you to the other end of our beautiful ancient woodland where you will spend 2 days and a night. Carrying only minimal kit, you’ll need to build a shelter, light a fire, find, filter and purify water and prepare your meals from game we provide. Don’t worry, we’ll be moving with you to keep an eye on things, but will only act where necessary.
At the end of this 5 day survival course you’ll have learnt how to avoid getting into a survival situation as well as gained a good working knowledge and experience of some of the skills should you find yourself in one.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 5 days
Start: 9am Wednesday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
After attending various courses ran by Gary and the team I finally got to complete the 5 day survival course and as always its an experience I wont forget. I am always amzed at how much I learn everytime i attend a course and this was no exception the food as allways thanks to Nicola was amzing and making the bows and having a little archery session on the last day just toped off the 5 days. I can recomend any of the bushcraft or survival courses wether it be 5 day or 2 day to anybody wether beginer or advanced as I guarantee you will learn something new and have an amazing time.
After taking both the 2 and 5 day bushcraft courses, I decided to take the 5 day survival course. It covers a different aspect really well. You will gain insight into how a survival situation can develop and how you can maximise your chances of staying alive. I feel I’ve gained valuable knowledge and learned a lot about myself. My advice is to choose your 6 items for the last 24 hours carefully and gather enough firewood to keep you warm throughout the night.
I've enjoyed this course very much. It was well organised, full of useful practical training and delivered in a professional and super friendly manner.
Gary, Bob and Peter are very knowledgeable and were always patient and supportive throughout the 5 days. Also many thanks to Nicola for keeping our spirits high with a warm meal at the end of each day 🙂
Overall a fantastic experience which I would recommend to anyone who enjoys being more in touch with nature and interested in learning bushcraft and survival skills.
Thank you to everyone at Jack Raven!
I was brought this course by my parents this year i can honestly say it as been the best present yet.
every activity was exciting and informative. everything you learn while out there helps build up to the overnight on your own.
Defo coming on another course from jack raven!
As a foreigner who is not in a language, it is very happy to be able to complete the 5-day survival course with the help of the mentors and the jacky.
In 5 days you can learn all the basic knowledge that survive in the jungle, including the search and use of resources, the source of fire and the maintenance, the acquisition of food, processing and cooking (of course as Chinese cooking method or a lot) 🙂 the basic survival knowledge and details, such as the construction of shelter, benefit greatly.
The patience guidance of the coaches, the mutual help of the Jacky, the coach who is good at cooking, the beautiful resource rich jungle, which is an unforgettable course.
Finished a challenge in my life!