Who’s it for?
We’re often asked the difference between bushcraft and survival and perhaps the simplest way to explain is to say that survival is finding yourself in a life threatening situation that you need to get out of.
With that in mind, this weekend survival course has been designed for anyone who wants to learn some of the skills that are essential in a survival situation. We’ve put this course together for people who spend time outdoors in the UK and would like to be better prepared in the event of an emergency.
What will I do?
Many of the skills found in bushcraft are transferable to survival. During your time spent with us on this weekend survival course we’ll concentrate on simple skills that you can do when you’re cold and wet, tired, de-hydrated and hungry. The focus is on using improvised techniques and minimal equipment. You will:
- Gain an understanding of how survival scenarios come about, and how to avoid getting into one!
- Learn the biggest killers in a survival situation and what to do about them,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, lighters and fire steels,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the British countryside,
- Learn about improvised, man made tinders,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions,
- Safely use a knife to accomplish common tasks,
- Learn how to prepare and cook rabbit and fish,
- Make an improvised debris shelter,
- Learn 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves and make an improvised shelter from salvaged polythene,
- Find, filter and purify your own water, including digging a gypsy well, and making an improvised water filter,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Make a signal fire to alert potential rescuers,
- Look through typical commercial survival tins,
- Understand why you should make your own survival kit, and what should go in it.
At the end of this weekend survival course you will have learnt how to avoid getting into a survival situation as well as gained a good working knowledge of some of the skills should you find yourself in one.
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
An excellent weekend spend on the recent survival weekend.Garys knowledge, Nicolas cooking, the tranquil location, brilliant company, a thoroughly enjoyable programme and a host of skills and memories taken away.A return is most certainly on the cards.See you guys on the upcoming Wednesday evening sessions.Thanks again, Kevin.
Had a fantastic time , well run and very informative, gorgeous food, very friendly and knowledgeable instructor, see you soon��
Really enjoyed my weekend on the survival course - l learned a lot. Information was pitched at the right level for each participants ability. Would luv to do something like this again with friends / family if I can persuade them to sleep underneath the stars. Well done to Gary and Nicki & a big thanks to Bob and Peter who gave great support over the two days.
Excellent weekend, very informative, great people and great food, just got back from the 2 day survival course and had a great time, I would definitely recommend it to everyone and will definitely be booking the 5 day bushcraft course sometime in the future.
What a fantastic weekend. I learnt many new skills and gained knowledge from master Gary. This was my first survival course but not the last. I will definitely book another course but this time for 5 days as it is great to escape from busy London to peaceful woodland. Company was great, food was lovely, camp set up is also brilliant. I love the whole experience.