Who’s it for?
Brand new for 2018, our applied bushcraft weekend has been carefully designed for people who have some existing bushcraft experience and are looking at putting their skills and knowledge into practice. This means that, whilst we will be teaching some new skills, you will need to set up your own camp and light your own fires.
There are no frills, no showers, no toilets, no pre-erected shelters and you will either carry or construct everything you need as you go. This one is all about ‘the more you know, the less you need to carry’.
What will I do?
The course is all about developing your bushcraft skillset and building your experience of travelling and living in the woods. From the very start of your applied bushcraft weekend you will need to be self-reliant. From the meeting point you’ll traverse a stunning section of the North Downs, carrying all of your equipment with you, and set up camp in a virgin woodland location; from there you’ll light a fire and cook your own evening meal.
The next morning, after lighting another fire and cooking your own breakfast, you will move to a new location and set up camp again. And then on the last day, you will once more de-camp and move to the final location of the weekend.
During your time spent with us on this applied bushcraft course, you will:
- Put into practice previously learnt skills,
- Safely use essential bushcraft tools including knife, folding saw and bow saw,
- Make simple camp items such as tent pegs and cooking utensils,
- Make a woodland multi-tool incorporating throwing stick, digging stick and mallet,
- Light a number of fires with your own fire lighting kit,
- Make a pot hanger to boil water and cook over,
- Learn different methods of backwoods cooking,
- Sharpen your knife in the field,
- And of course, study the many trees and plants around us and understand what they can be used for,
- Leave no trace!
At the end of this applied bushcraft course you will have increased your skills, knowledge and resilience and be better placed to undertake your own bushcraft adventures.
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: We’ll provide the food, you’ll cook it yourself
Note: You will be carrying all of your kit with you for the entire duartion, so pack accordingly
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.