Who’s it for?
This 5 day survival course has been designed for anyone who wants to learn some of the skills that are essential in a survival situation. We’ve put this course together for people who spend time outdoors in the UK and would like to be better prepared in the event of an emergency.
You don’t need any previous experience to come along, we’ll start with the basics and work at a steady pace to ensure that you get the most from your time with us.
What will I do?
This 5 day survival course is broken into 2 main parts, skills acquisition and then testing out your new skills and knowledge. For the first 3 days of your time with us on this survival course we’ll concentrate on simple skills that you can do when you’re cold and wet, tired, de-hydrated and hungry. The focus is on using improvised techniques and minimal equipment. You will:
- Gain an understanding of how survival scenarios come about, and how to avoid getting into one!
- Learn the biggest killers in a survival situation and what to do about them,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, lighters and fire steels,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the British countryside,
- Learn about improvised, man made tinders,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions,
- Safely use a knife to accomplish common tasks,
- Learn how to prepare and cook rabbit, squirrel and fish,
- Make a pot hanger to cook food over an open fire,
- Learn back country cooking techniques including using a pit oven,
- Make an improvised debris shelter,
- Learn 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves and make an improvised shelter from salvaged polythene,
- Find, filter and purify your own water, including digging a gypsy well, and making an improvised water filter,
- Make a simple stick bow and throwing stick,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Make a signal fire to alert potential rescuers,
- Look through typical commercial survival tins,
- Understand why you should make your own survival kit, and what should go in it.
On the morning of day 4 we will take you to the other end of our beautiful ancient woodland where you will spend 2 days and a night. Carrying only minimal kit, you will need to build a shelter, light a fire, find, filter and purify water and prepare your meals from game we provide. Don’t worry, we’ll be moving with you to keep an eye on things, but will only act where necessary.
At the end of this 5 day survival course you will have learnt how to avoid getting into a survival situation as well as gained a good working knowledge and experience of some of the skills should you find yourself in one.
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 5 days
Start: 9am Wednesday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
This is the course to do to discover how far you can push yourself in mind, body and spirit. It also gives you a chance to discover what it takes to survive as an individual and/or in a group.The most important thing you learn is 'Enough is never enough'.A huge big thank you to Gary, Bob, Peter, Nicola anf Willow for making this a remarkable course.Looking forward to another course in 2018 (DV)
My 2nd course with the excellent people at Jack Raven and certainly not my last!The course material covers a wide range of topics, none of which where superfluous to surving a night in the woods.I genuinely feel like I would now not be totally lost and doomed in a survival situation and left with a sense of pride in what I'd been able to accomplish.Many thanks to the Jack Raven team, both the two legged and 4 legged members.Time to choose my next course!
My 5th course with Jack Raven Bushcraft (they must be doing something right!). This course was informative, well paced and very well thought out.As usual, the food was delicious and plentiful, the teaching standards high, and the setting beautiful. We were able to learn about survival basics and try our hand at several techniques for firelighting, knife skills, knots, resource identification and collection, debris shelter construction, water sourcing, filtration and purification, and much more from the list in the course description.Our first three days were spent learning new skills and reminding our brains and hands of those already learned before. On the 4th day we had to survive 24 hours on our own in the quieter end of the woodland (under the watchful and helpful gaze of our three instructors) taking care of shelter, water, heat and food - highlights included creating a nightlong fire from natural tinder and gathered wood, bunny butchering, foraging for extra stew ingredients in the rain and enjoying the peace of a debris shelter amongst the trees.There were opportunities throughout to work alone and with others and our course was attended by folk with varying backgrounds and knowledge bases. All were able to access and enjoy the opportunities provided. Our final day included some reflection and time to wind down (along with a massive fry up!) with bow and throwing stick making and packing down of our survival camps.I cannot reccomend Jack Raven enough. Welcoming, fun, educational, downright silly at times and in the perfect site. I am already booking in courses for next year. Isle of Arran trip next! Thanks Gary, Nicola, Bob, Peter and Willow x