Who’s it for?
Your bushcraft experience is focused on 4 key skills of bushcraft and woodland living – fire, shelter, food and water. But as with all of our bushcraft courses, the skills you’ll learn are transferable and are useful to campers, canoeists, hikers, those that enjoy wild camping and many other outdoor activities.
This 5 day bushcraft course is our most exhaustive course in terms of both breadth and depth of learning. However, you don’t need any previous experience to attend as we start from the basics and progress throughout the 5 days.
This is definitely one of our favourite bushcraft courses as it allows you to immerse yourself fully in the woodland and really become a part of it. The emphasis is on ensuring that you have plenty of opportunity to practice the skills that we show you so that as you progress through the 5 days you become more proficient and independent. It also gives you time to really get to know us and your fellow students.
What will I do?
You’ll be shown a wide range of skills followed by ample opportunity to practice them. You will:
- Use a knife, folding saw and bow saw to make a wedge, cut a log from standing dead wood, split the log and make feather sticks,
- Spend plenty of time creating a flame using chemical, solar, compression and electrical means,
- Work as part of a team to create fire by friction,
- Make char cloth, create an ember with it and blow the ember into flame,
- Identify, gather and prepare tinders from outer barks, inner barks, fungi and downy flower heads,
- Make your own fire from materials sourced locally using a fire steel,
- Understand various fire lays and their uses,
- Prune trees so as they can ‘heal’ afterwards,
- Carve simple implements such as a spatula and honey spreader,
- Put up a hammock and tarp using 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves (if you’d like to sleep in a hammock, you can),
- Adapt a tarp to different configurations to meet different conditions and environments,
- Know when, where and how to build a debris shelter (feel free to sleep in it after you’ve built it; you’ll also need to take it down again before leaving),
- Identify and locate water supplies,
- Make your own improvised water filter,
- Make a pot hanger to boil water and cook over,
- Make a simple bow from hazel,
- Use bark to make a container,
- Sharpen your knife so that it will easily slice through a sheet of paper,
- Make cordage from nettles, clematis and chestnut bark, depending on the time of year,
- Forage for wild foods and make wild herb bannock,
- Learn a variety of back country cooking techniques,
- Try various woodland teas from plants and herbs you collect,
- Finish it all off by collecting materials to light a fire without using matches, lighters or a fire steel and boil water over your pot hanger.
We also include a session on kit selection so that you can learn from our mistakes.
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 5 days
Start: 9am Wednesday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4.
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
This course is fantastic, I went on it after a three day course with Gary to further my skills, it was fascinating, he is a great instructor, explaining things really well and very calm and gentle. The food was fantastic I was very well looked after and thoroughly enjoyed myself as well as learning many new skills.
I was sorry when this course ended, the five days flew by. You learn a great deal on this course and get to take all your creations home. I've only attended the odd day or so before with a few different providers so I was initially nervous about booking the five day course. I was worried as I don't have much experience of Bushcraft but this wasn't an issue at all. I attended on my own and was the only female participant (I thought I might be!) but never felt out of my depth or unable to join in. Gary, Bob and Nicola made everyone feel at ease and adapted to suit the learning needs and levels of experience within the group. Each tutor was clearly very experienced and passionate about Bushcraft and were keen to share and guide us all along. I'd recommend this course to novices and experienced Bushcraft folk alike, it was brilliant. Well worth it.
Glad you enjoyed the course Caroline, it was great to have you along again.
It was unusual to have only one female participant on the course, we would normally expect 2 or 3!
I have just got back from a course with my son. From start to finish it was a great experience. The knowledge and experience of Gary and Bob was excellent and the teaching style complemented the subject material perfectly. there was plenty of time for hands on practicals for the wide variety of skills that were covered. Also I could not complete a review without mentioning the amazing food provided by Nicola which kept us going for the 5 days. If you are looking for an in depth bushcraft experience then look no further, this is the course for you. My thanks again to the whole team not forgetting Willow!
Just recently attended the 5 day bushcraft course and had an amazing time in the woods, best fun I've had in ages.
Gary is a superb teacher, definitely knows his stuff and he makes time for everyone. There was so much packed into the 5 days but not too much, a perfect balance was delivered. Gary not only teaches you how to utilise your surroundings but also how to care for them in the process.
The food prepared by Nicola was fantastically good, varied, filling and healthy.
I can't recommend Jack Raven Bushcraft enough, I learnt so much my woodland walks back home now are completely different I will definitely be attending more courses.
If I could give Gary more than 5 stars I would.
I could discuss the quality of instruction, the depth and breadth of knowledge of the instructors, the rich and varied location, the administrative arrangements, the gourmet food and the all round excellence of the kindred spirits attending the course but words won't do it justice ......so, I've booked onto the course again. For someone who doesn't get much time off that says it all!