What’s it about?
Over the years our 2 day course has proven to be our most popular bushcraft course. It’s been carefully designed to initiate you into the joys of outdoor living, although many of the skills that you’ll be taught are easily transferable to other outdoor activities.
This 2 day course is intended for people who would like to understand what bushcraft is all about and to learn simple, repeatable survival skills, including campers, backpackers, hikers and other outdoors people who wish to learn some of the skills required to be comfortable in the outdoors, so that you have the time to really enjoy what is around you.
We have people attend who have no previous bushcraft experience as well as those with some prior experience and we can say with absolute honesty that everyone leaves knowing more than when they arrived!
What will I do?
During your time spent with us on this course, you will:
- Learn how to safely use essential bushcraft tools including knife, folding saw and bow saw,
- Have plenty of practise creating a flame using matches, fire steels, fire pistons, wire wool & a battery, solar mirrors, flint & steel and chemicals,
- Carve your own honey spreader or spatula from materials you gather in our ancient woodland,
- Understand the pros and cons of debris shelters, where & how to build one,
- Put up a tarp and hammock using only 3 simple knots that can be tied and untied wearing gloves (you can sleep in a hammock if you like),
- Find, filter and purify your own water,
- Go for a woodland walk to gain an insight into some of the trees and plants around us and what they can be used for,
- Learn how to sharpen a knife so that it will slice through a sheet of paper,
- Locate and identify different natural tinders easily found in the woods,
- Gather your own materials and light a fire following a method that will work in all weather conditions.
At the end of the course you will have a good working knowledge of the skills needed to enjoy your time in the woods or enhance your camping or outdoor activities.
By making a booking you confirm that you have read and agree to our Terms & Conditions.
You can see our complete course schedule here.
Location: Westwell, Kent
Duration: 2 days
Start: 6pm Friday
End: 4pm Sunday
Course size: Maximum of 8
Catering: Fully catered
Note: There is a short walk from the meeting point to the camp. We’ll transport your bags in our 4×4
You might also find these Frequently Asked Questions useful.
What our customers say
Submit your review
Thank you so much to all the team at Jack Raven Bushcraft for making this an amazing weekend. I learnt so much over the 2 days and I am excited to keep learning more about bushcraft. All of the instructors are very friendly and the food is great! See you again soon.
I have now completed several different courses with Gary and Nicola and never been anything less than 100% satisfied with the courses. Each one I attend, I am drawn a little further into the natural world that the Jack Raven team are such good ambassadors for. This two day course is paced and delivered to allow a complete novice with no outdoors experience, like myself, to feel at home in the forest and have the confidence to come back into that environment again. As Nick has mentioned in his review, the hospitality was fantastic and the food excellent. I also aim to book another course in the near future. I would like to thank Pete, another member of the Jack Raven team, for his excellent company and knife sharpening tuition as well as Willow the dog for her welcome presence.
I am still surprised with just how much information and skills Gary and Pete were able to pass on in just a two day course. Something for everyone, great hosts, great food (thank you Nicola!) and great new friends made on the course. Wholeheartedly recommended and I am already thinking about my next course! Still not sure why Willow eats brambles though.....?
Gary, Nicola and Pete were brilliant, I went with a friend but left with 10 more! The skills we learned were incredibly useful, from carving your own tent pends and making cord out of stinging nettles, which would allow you to secure your tent if you lost any pegs or cords. Firelighting was made simple, knife sharpening provided me with the confidence to reproduce good results alone. The hospitality was fantastic and the food was excellent, nothing is too much for the team to make you feel welcome and valued. Highly recommended if you are looking for an introductory bushcraft course or are simply looking to polish y or skills. I am to book another course in the future with these guys.
Really great fun. My 15-year-old son and I thought the weekend was excellent. Very informative but relaxed. Gary and his team are very friendly and excellent instructors. I will definitely return.